Thursday, September 11, 2014

Historical maps of Portland

I thought it would be interesting to look up some historical maps of the Portland area.  Over the last century the layout of Portland has changed drastically.  Some of my neighbors can remember when the house across the street was an open lot where kids played baseball.   My journey of discovery took me the the City of Portland's website (https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/44016) where I found a whole bunch oh historical maps and comparisons.  A lot of the documents seem to focus on the change of the east side of Portland. 

Paving map from City of Portland Archives


The above image is a map of Portland that shows which streets were paved in 1894.  The streets are broken into type of pavement.  What I found interesting was the track that was located in NE Portland.    Until looking at this map I was not aware of there being a track in that area. 

I think a lot can be learned from how a city develops overtime.  These historical documents will play an import role in future city planning as the population increases and space becomes an issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment