Friday, September 19, 2014

40 maps to keep you busy this weekend

Kalev H. Leetaru, Shaowen Wang, Guofeng Cao, Anand Padmanabhan, and Eric Shook

Today I came across an article from the Washington Post  called "40 more maps that explain the world" (click here).  I found most of the maps to be relative and interesting. Though all of the maps had interesting information  to display, I found a few didn't do a good job at grabbing my attention.  With so many maps being created I think its important to create maps that really stand out and have a clear purpose (of course many of the maps presented in this article are part of bigger presentations and were never meant to be viewed alone).

The map at the top of the page really caught my eye. The map was created using information from twitter.  I think the author's use of a dark background really help the foreground to stick out.  I've noticed that a lot of mapping that uses only points to map areas tend to use a darker background.  Like many maps that use twitter data you can gain valuable knowledge about population density and transportation networks.   

Have fun exploring these forty maps and who knows you might learn something as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment